Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Why adopt?

I think I am right in saying that it has been a big surprise to many around us when we have shared the news of pursuing adoption. The next questions that logically follows is "Why?". In case you were wondering this too, I wanted to explain a bit so that you might hear our hearts' desire in this whole process.

It is easy to press forward assuming that we will have a beautiful child at the end of this whole process. I catch myself doing this and just want to remind myself that the Lord is sovereign over all. Even if we would come to a stopping point in this process our awesome God promises the following:

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, [1] for those who are called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

Praise Him for the peace we can have! Though there are many steps Craig and I will be required to take and many evaluations ahead, the Lord has His hand in "all things" and ultimately they will work for our good.

Okay, back to the "Why?" question. I have always wanted to adopt. I have no good answer as to why other than the explanation that the Lord has planted that desire in my heart. I am pretty sure Craig and I talked about it before we got married and he thought it was a great idea too. The reason I am confident that now is the time is because Craig has become like-minded with me - without me having to talk him into it! In James 1:27 we are told that pure undefiled religion is to care for orphans and widows in their affliction. I do not believe all christians are called to adopt. There are many ways to care for orphans whether you actively serve them, financially support them, make it possible for others to serve, or adopting. I'm sure there are many other options that i have not even thought of. So anyway, Craig and I feel the Lord has planted that desire in our hearts to care for an orphan through adoption. I have several other reasons to explain, but there are two reasons why i must stop writing right now - Juliana and Evan (ha ha!) to be continued...

No comments: