Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Garage sale details

So, for the first picture...the clock says 5:08 am. We made it to bed at 2 am and planned on waking at 4 am. Craig accidentally set the alarm wrong and i just happened to wake at 5:00! It had taken us about 5 hours to set up friday morning so we thought that we would have to get up at 4 to even be close to ready for the start of the sale at 8. It turns out we were wrong. We had a few people come at 7 to help us (and bring us donuts!) and everything was actually set out and ready to go before 8. The Lord, in His sovereignty, granted us an extra hour of sleep that we desperately needed! Saturday was a much slower day than Friday and by lunchtime it was looking like we would have stuff left at the end. While going to get lunch for us I remember a short prayer to the tune of "please Lord, could there just be nothing left at the end of our sale. I know you CAN do it, so please will you make it all go somehow." I kind of forgot that quick little prayer and the day went on. We drastically cut prices at noon and told people if they would like to come back at 5 the leftovers would all be free. 5:00 came and we didn't have anyone come back...but one lady and her three girls showed up. Craig let her know that she was free to take what she wanted and she quickly got on her phone and called for back-up! She started packing boxes and her three girls were packing and hauling as much as they could. Then her boyfriend came with a pickup and the rest is history. I could hardly keep from laughing out loud as I watched our leftovers disappear before my eyes. They took EVERYTHING! There really was not much worth keeping anyway, but what a blessing it was to not have to pack up, store, and get rid of what was left! I genuinely hope that it will be a blessing to that family. I assume they will be garage sale-ing their new loot. All we had to do was clean and fold up tables. Thanks Tollivers for help in cleaning up tables! It was quite comical to watch the loading process as the gentleman standing by the truck did absolutely 0% of the work. The load in the pickup ended up about 8ft tall above the pickup bed. What a crazy answer to prayer! Afterwards we had some friends recommend a show that was at the Fox theater here in town at 7:30 that evening. We couldn't decide whether we should splurge on the tickets after just having a sale to raise money, but then decided it would feel really good to get cleaned up and that it would fit in our budget. So, on our way walking in to the theater we ran into some good friends...without us asking, they paid for our tickets! I seriously was in tears a few times b/c I could not believe how the Lord extended His grace to us in such a compassionate way this last weekend.

No comments: