Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Off to Omaha

We leave this evening for Omaha to attend our first set of adoption classes. They will be held all day Friday and Saturday. I have a sister who lives with her family full of boys (3 under the age of 5!) in Omaha so we will be able to stay with them and enjoy a visit during our time there :) The classes will cover the following topics:
  • Adoption triad and lifelong issues of adoption
  • How to talk to your child about adoption
  • attachment and bonding
  • effects of institutionalization
  • transracial/transcultural adoption
  • learning to be a multicultural family
  • adoption losses and gains
  • life books
  • seven core issues of adoption
  • stereotypes of birth parents, adoptive parents, adoptees
  • child's background and history
  • child's behavior and adjustment to family
  • family's strengths, resources, and limitations
  • parenting skills and adaptation to child

I look forward to being able to blog and discuss these topics after this weekend. I probably won't be able to write another entry until Sunday so enjoy the rest of your week wherever you are!

No comments: