Monday, February 4, 2008

Doing some reading

I will be the first to admit that I am confidant of the desire to adopt, however, I am certain that there is much more I need to know regarding trans-racial adoption. I have been doing some reading and found some great articles discussing trans-racial adoption and the gospel. Here is a portion of an interview I found that has been an encouragement to me:


Some people, for any number of reasons, are uncomfortable with the idea of transracial adoption. Other people, because of their views on race, are outright opposed to the idea of transracial adoption; they believe that adoption across ethnic lines should not be practiced. How might the Bible speak to these concerns?

"...But there may also be discomfort or opposition not based on racial attitudes but some prudential concerns. Some may wonder if they are sufficiently equipped to parent across culture and ethnicity. Others may worry about the tension or conflict they may experience. There we have to remember that we are not called to love only in the convenient places and situations. We’re called to a radical love, one that mirrors the love of God for broken sinners. And the end of such love is unspeakable joy. For the joy set before Him, Jesus Christ endured the inconvenient and uncomfortable agony of the cross to redeem a people who were hostile toward Him. Adoption across ethnic lines may be one of the best pictures of that radical Christ-like love we have available to us today. So, “prudential” concerns that awaken discomfort aren’t finally sufficient reason to refuse or oppose such adoptions." Thabiti Anyabwile, pastor of First Baptist Church of Grand Cayman

3 comments:

andrea said...

We anxiously await with you in joy as you seek to know and follow the heart of our Savior - He alone is worthy of your pursuit! We will be praying for you. This is such an excellent resource for those that witness what is to come as it comes! Thank you.

Brett said...

Oooo, we like that! we have always said that one of the reasons we personally would like to adopt is because it would give our children a clearer picture of that truth in Galatians: "But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” We praise the Lord for the work He is doing in Craig's & your hearts as He grows in you this desire to adopt and sanctifies you through and through for the task He has set before you.

jesse said...

I am so amazingly happy for you. I knew you and Craig had talked about adoption, and I am thrilled you are now pursuing it. You know if you have any questions for me along the way, don't hesitate to ask! Even with all of the ups and downs (and there were many), I would do it again without any hesitation. Any child would be blessed to become a part of your beautiful family. I am looking forward to following your journey.