Friday, April 11, 2008

Breakfast

The connection between Juliana's new taste for dry oatmeal and adoption you ask? Well, here it is: I did a little looking into what a traditional Ethiopian breakfast looks like. I had hoped through this blog to bring family and friends a little educational information about the Ethiopia as well as adoption in general, so this is my first attempt at looking into Ethiopian culture. I will be learning right with you :)

The staple of Ethiopian diet consists of wat and injera. Wat is a spicy stew that as far as I can tell is not usually eaten at breakfast. Injera would be comparable to what we call a pancake, however, it is grey and about 2 feet in diameter and is made with teff, salt, water, and oil. The following is a little information I have found on breakfast specifically:

"Firfir or fitfit, made from shredded injera with spices, is a typical breakfast dish. Another popular breakfast food is dulet, a spicy mixture of tripe, liver, beef, and peppers with injera. Fatira consists of a large fried pancake made with flour, often with a layer of egg, eaten with honey. Chechebsa (or kita firfir) resembles a pancake covered with berbere and kibbeh, or spices, and may be eaten with a spoon."

Kinche - boiled cracked wheat with spiced herb butter
Yequanta Firfir - Dried beef in mild chili-onion sauce fried with Injera
Kita Firfir - Pan fried wheat flakes tossed in spiced butter
Foll - Bowl of fava beans in savory sauce with chili, onion and butter, served with injera crepe

No comments: