Thursday, August 14, 2008

Funny thoughts on travel

I tend to watch a few other blogs of adopting families and this post had me laughing out loud.

While in Ethiopia.... (this is meant for enjoyment purposes only, so please don't take anything I say too seriously.)

1. Don't wear shorts. You already stick out like a sore thumb...the dreadfully white legs will not help the situation. I speak form experience here folks, if I would have busted out my frighteningly pale legs...eeks.
2. Do let strangers wisk your baby away...I promise they will bring him back and you will have made lots of new friends.
3. Do bring the plastic, preformed drop-in bottle liners for your childs bottle.
4. Don't leave a huge stash of them on the nightstand...as the housekeeper will inevitably think you brought 120 condoms with you. (awkwaaaard) Seriuously, these things could have had a better design...google a picture, it is kinda funny.
5. Do stand up and be a part of the traditional Ethiopian dancing when asked! (I made a huuuge fool out of myself, but shoot, I did it! I may have also not known how to dance Ethiopian style and so I just busted out an old classic- the running man)
6. Don't do the running man at a traditional Ethiopian restaurant.
7. Do let Belay show you how it's done! The man's got moves!
8. Don't bring a soy based formula for your new baby.
9. Do make sure you are wearing rain gear if you do decide to bring soy based formula. There will be some major spewage.
10. Do stay at the Ayat house! We loved getting to know people in the community and being able to support a local family!
11. Don't bring any undies you wouldn't want the neighborhood to see blowing in the wind. The housekeeper was amazing and did our laundry every day...but imagine our suprise when we came home to find all of our whitey tighties dangling around at eye level for the world to inspect. Eeks.
12. Do bring a sling (or Bjorn or whatever). There are no high chairs, car seats or anything to set you little one in, so our arms were mush after a short time...the sling was a lifesaver!! And he would sleep for hours in it when we were out sightseeing. Glorious.
13. Don't be fooled by the cute little puppies that wander the streets. We were enthraled with one cute little fella and when he turned around we saw that he was knawing on part of a bloody goats head. It may have ruined his cuteness just a teensy bit.
14. Do bring some Mac N Cheese, Campbell's soup and saltine crackers. When you are eating out at restaurants for every single meal, (that would be about 30 meals) sometimes it was nice to just stay at home and have boring old familiar food. We also wished we had more of those types of things when we were barfing and pooping our guts out. Saltines would have been my best friend.
15. Do soak up everything you can while in Ethiopia!! They are such beautiful, friendly, warm people- get to know them as much as you can and you will be SO BLESSED!!

No comments: