Wednesday, August 13, 2008

stewardship cont.

So, I was saying earlier that adoption is about stewardship. The money connection is pretty easy to make, but I have also been thinking this week on the stewardship perspective in being a parent. My time, talents, body, possessions, AND children are not my own, but are gracious gifts from God. I must not lay hold of them as my own. How easy it is to profess that Juliana, Evan, and this new baby we have yet to meet belong to the Lord and how hard that is to actually live that truth. Recently Steven Curtis Chapman and his family mourned the death of their 5 year old daughter and sibling after an accident at home claimed her life. An unimaginable fiery trial of their faith in the goodness of God, yet they are praising the Lord for His grace that is sufficient moment by moment to hold them to a firm foundation. Yesterday I watched (with tears)their interviews with Good Morning America and with Larry King. The Chapman family talked much and honestly about how difficult the months since the accident have been, but also talk much about the hope that they have in the goodness and sovereignty of God. It challenged me and encouraged me as I was reminded that even after we bring our new little Merrihew home he or she will still not belong to me. I must hold all our children with an open hand knowing that the Lord's ways are not my ways. There is not even a guarantee that this adoption will come to completion, for nobody knows what tomorrow will bring. However, I know right now that the Lord has me praying for a little one I have never met. This little one, though fatherless by worldy standards, is already experiencing our love for them by way of a mommy and daddy's fervent prayers of intercession on their behalf. What an amazing thing it is that the Lord can connect the hearts of a mommy and daddy to a child who is a world away...and whom we have never met! Let no one say that the Lord is not gracious, compassionate, and abounding in love - even in light of the grief and pain in this world, I see no room for it! Though in this world evil things happen, the Lord in His grace is constantly restoring, healing, and sustaining through hope in His eternal purpose. It does not please the Lord that this or any child would lose their mommy and daddy. It is not the Lord who is desires pain, "The thief comes only to steal, kill and destroy. I came that they might have life and have it abundantly." John 10:10 But in His love He "forces the trials to do good to us by conforming us more to the image of Christ" (Milton Vincent). "Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. In your name I will lift up my hands" Psalm 63:3-4. Lord, help us as parents to lift our children up to you with open hands rejoicing always in the gift you have given. Let us not forget to rejoice even more in the giver of such a glorious gift!

No comments: