Friday, December 12, 2008

Provision




This is the official adoption binder we have been using from very early in the process. Can you believe how thick it is? It houses things like the copy of our dossier, copies of the Holt updates we receive by email, our initial application information, lots of contact information, plans for fundraisers and much more than i can even think of. I hear the paperwork will be massive when we finally recieve our referral of a child . . . I look forward to the challenge!


Just this evening we held a "Merrihew Night of Financials and Hors D'eouvres" which is just a fancy way of saying we had a meeting after the kids went to bed to see where we are at financially. I find if I make it sound fancy and I make sure we have yummy food to eat then I actually don't dread money "meetings" like I used to. Craig does an awesome job of taking care of our financial records. I spend most of the money for our family in regards to groceries and other family needs, but he manages the big picture. It looks as though we have saved up around $19,500 through our own savings, fundraisers, and financial gifts from family and friends and only have $3,600 to go! With our best estimates this adoption will cost about $23,200. We were surprised to find that we have spent $1,200 alone on expenses not outlined in the adoption agency list of expenses. This has been due to medical exam costs, fingerprinting, travel costs to go to our agency, and the biggest chunk was $800 for our USCIS paperwork and fingerprints. This could be helpful to know for anyone considering international adoption.


Though I don't want to promote a prosperity gospel at all I do have to say that the Lord has certainly provided for our basic needs this year like I have never seen before. After having babies a few years in a row I finally got back to pre-baby size (so clothes that I wore over 3 years ago) and found that my view of modest dress has changed dramatically! Add to that the discovery that although I weighed the same, weight that had been delightfully re-distributed so that things just didn't fit like they used and the result was many clothes that simply were not wearable anymore. I was totally in tears b/c we didn't have the money for a whole new wardrobe. We had just decided that we would have to spend money out of savings to buy me new clothes b/c our clothing budget just barely keeps up with the kids. About that time we were gearing up for what turned out to be our massive garage sale and one of my friends donated TONS of clothes and offered that I might keep whatever I liked. I was again in tears as I realized that the Lord had provided abundantly for my needs. Now, I am not the most common size in the world, petite and skinny and it is unusual that I can even find things at a garage sale that would fit me. Believe me when I say it is crazy that there were so many clothes that were my size. There were at least 2 other friends who also offered that I might keep any clothes that we might need and b/c of their generosity I didn't have to spend a dime and am not lacking in anything. Even last week a friend just brought over an entire garbage size bag of great clothes for Juliana. I could list so many more examples of provision this year like we have never seen. Please remember, God's view of prosperity is much different than the world's view. He has not promised that we wear designer clothes, drive fancy cars, and live in luxurious houses...or even big houses.
"So do not worry, saying , 'what shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them."
Matthew 6:31-32
"Do not be afraid, littel flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom"
Luke 12:32

1 comment:

Jen said...

Everytime I need a lift in spirits, I come to your blog and realize that God provides for all his children. Thanks for keeping my mind and heart on the right track!