Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Things unseen

". . . as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal." 2 Cor 4:17-18

I feel like this has been a verse that the Lord has been camping me on throughout the last "adoption" year. When you think about it, I mean really dig into what you are reading, this verse has some huge implications. I dare you to let your mind chew on this verse! ALL things that I can see with my eyes are transient or temporary. My house, the trees, sky, dirt, animals, plants, and (gasp!) our bodies. It really is a bit overwhelming when you remember the absolute truth of God's word. I listened to a great Paul David Tripp sermon a while back that made the point that a mere 20 years after we have died a few members of our family will scarcely remember us. If that doesn't humble you, I don't know what will! How easy it is to create my own little world where I am the center (because I am the one I know who is most worthy of this honor, of course!) and where all the things I see with my eyes become the things I work for and treasure. The Lord says in the above verse that all things seen are temporary, there is NO lasting value in the things I can see. Thinking specifically on our bodies which fall into the category of things that are seen. We are made of dust and when we die we turn back into dust. It is as simple as that. Hard to believe huh? Yeah, look at your hand - it is dust. Better yet, look at your face, it is dust too! Isn't it truly amazing that the Lord is able to create us - basically out of dust - and infuse life into that dust. This is the heart of redemption which is only a work that the Lord is able to do! I think specifically about how love can so easily be communicated through touch. When I love holding my children's hands - it is just dust touching dust - but the Lord has made it beautiful and eternally significant as we minister to one another's souls! I don't know how well I have explained this...hmmm. I guess to sum it all up this has been a verse that has made a huge impact on the way I go about living. Do I want to waste my time on the things of the world that are transient, or do I want to invest in the kingdom of God and the souls of others which are unseen and eternal? To be honest I am continually having to fight my desire to return to a comfortable life. I want my dust to be sitting in a comfy chair with a good snack and an entertaining movie for the evening. I pray instead that the Lord furthers me down the path of fighting for souls instead of living for the desires of the world. Don't be fooled. Nothing that is seen can satisfy a heart that has been created for an eternal purpose - namely to love it's creator and to be in intimate fellowship with Him.

No comments: