Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Holt Midwest Benefit for Ethiopia



The more I learn about Holt, the more I desire to champion them in their cause of caring for orphans. Craig and I volunteered at the Holt benefit dinner and auction for Ethiopia in Omaha this Saturday and it was an amazing evening. Even if you are not considering adoption PLEASE try to attend one of these evenings sometime in your life. You will come home after having a delicious and fancy dinner, probably be toting some fun and unique goods from the silent auction, and all your donations will be helping orphans in great need. So, save up the money you spend on all those boring rental movies and fast food and next year spend an evening with Holt!


We didn't feel we could purchase tickets as we are still saving for travel costs, but Holt graciously let us volunteer during the silent auction selling wine and grab bags. It was enough that they let us attend as volunteers, but then they surprised us with a few seats at the dinner and presentation following the silent auction portion. What a treat! They auctioned off many small items all the way up to five African Safari trips! We figured since we had one trip to Africa on the schedule this summer we ought to forgo the safari this year - Ha!

In one portion of the evening there was a presentation on the medical clinic which has just been renovated in a rural part of Ethiopia. It's primary purpose is to save lives in a place where there are so many dangers to the health of mommas, daddies, and their children. I LOVE that Holt purposes to make international adoption an option only when other options (keeping a family together, in-country adoption) have been ruled out - and this medical clinic is such awesome proof of that love for the Ethiopian people. After the presentation, people were asked to contribute specifically to this clinic with a goal of reaching $20,000. People held their bidding cards up at whatever the appropriate amount was for their desired donation and I am not exaggerating when I report that in a matter of 6 minutes people at the dinner had contributed $20,ooo to the this medical clinic. Amazing!

Other pleasant surprises of the evening included:




  • connecting with 2 Nebraska couples that are also in-process with the Ethiopia program.


  • meeting 1 family that is home from Ethiopia with their little girl since last July. I tried my hardest not to stare in a rude way, but truly I could not take my eyes off of her! I can not explain how sweet it is to me to see these beautiful kiddos home with their families. It is such a strange mix of hope and reality when I see these kiddos right in front of me. It is a crazy HUGE encouragement to my heart.


  • Getting to bring home some baskets from Ethiopia that were the centerpieces on our table. They were to be given to the highest bidder at the table, but there were a few ladies at our table that were incredibly kind to us and bought them so that we might have them.


  • not passing out after having had 5 shots 4 hours before the event - ha ha!




Over all an awesome display of generosity from so many people. It was especially sweet knowing that all the people contributing were contributing towards the care of 0ur little guy.






He is actually there, in Ethiopia, right now.




He's gonna be ours.




No way...




This is crazy amazing.


No comments: