Thursday, March 19, 2009

Record keeping: A lost art

I probably shouldn't say "lost art" b/c I don't think I ever had it! This afternoon left me wishing that I was naturally better at keeping track of things. I am getting us ready to get vaccinated and have called several different clinics trying to figure out if I have had a meningitis shot. Does anybody out there know? I think I did, but can not find any record of it happening. What is one more poke in the arm anyway? Here is what I think is in store for us vaccine wise:

  • update on tetanus
  • yellow fever
  • meningitis (?)
  • Hep A for us and kids (plus non-family kids in contact with our kid - SORRY!)
  • Hep B for Craig
  • typhoid

Yikes! Understand, though, that I am loving that we are at this point in the process :) Due to the fact that we live in rural Nebraska I have spent the afternoon on the phone trying to figure out how, when, and where we should try to get these done. I LOVE small town life, but if you try to do anything out of the ordinary it sometimes takes traveling across the state to get something it done. It looks like some shots can be updated at our local clinic and some we will get done when we travel to Omaha next week. I am thankful that we had a trip on the schedule anyway so that I can just add an appointment that day :)

We also found out that we could go help with the Holt Ethiopia benefit evening in Omaha. I am excited to be able to contribute to the evening and look forward to meeting new people. The adoption community out here is wonderful, but small. It is our heart to promote adoption in this area of the state in the coming years. I pray that the surrounding churches will be stirred to have a heart for the orphan that takes action in encouraging and equipping families to adopt. Until then we will be content with our wonderful and small community. All that to say, it feels good to get together with people who are excited as you are about adoption :)

1 comment:

kristin said...

We were told you do not need Yellow Fever..if you do not go outside of the city. :)