Monday, June 8, 2009

How may I help you?

Here is the phone conversation I promised earlier. Juliana is playing the part of Craig. Craig is playing the part of Friendly Ethiopian Hotel Clerk. Yes, Craig was calling for a strange reason so you can't be too hard on the other end of the line for seeming confused. We wanted to make sure the phone cards we bought would actually work to call Ethiopia, so Craig thought he would give it a try ahead of time. The man on the other end was very friendly and the only humor we find in it is that we have never been somewhere where we have to work to communicate...so this should be an adventure for sure!

Craig: Hello, Union Hotel?

Ethiopian: No.

Craig: Hello, Union Hotel?

Ethiopian: (pause) Yes. Sorry. Union Hotel. How may I help you?

Craig: I'm just checking to see if my phone works.

Ethiopian: (longer pause) How may I help you.

Craig: Just checking to see if my phone works. Thank you. Bye.

Ethiopian: Yes, Sorry. Goodbye

No comments: