Friday, October 17, 2008

What is "white priveledge"?

My purpose for this post is not to agree or disagree yet with the content...only to define what it is we are talking about :) This particular paper is written by a social worker.

"White priveledge is an invisible knapsack of unearned assets which I can count on cashing in each day, but which I was 'meant' to remain oblivious." White priveledge would be putting an advantage to one race while the author describes racism as putting others at a disadvantage. Whites are taught to not recognize white priveledge as men are taught not to recognize male priveledge. There are daily effects of "white priveledge" and they are conditions which attach somewhat more to skin color than to class, religion, etc. Here are some examples:

1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.
2. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.
3. I can arrange to protect my children most of the time from people who might not like them.
4. If a traffic cop pulls me over , I can be sure I haven't been singled out b/c of my race.
5. If my day, week, or year is going badly I need not ask of each situation whether it has racial overtones.
6. I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help that my race will not work against me.
7 I can turn on the television or open the paper and see people of my race widely represented.
8. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk to "the person in charge" I will be facing a person of my race.

According to the author, white skin color is an asset in our society.

No comments: