Let me first make a disclaimer that I am pretty far from being an "organic loving-sew your own clothes-recycle all my trash" kind of mom. Not that these things are bad in moderation, mind you, it is just not me and I don't want you to give me any credit that is totally undeserved :) I ran the numbers again on cloth diapers a few weeks ago and it seemed an obvious way to start saving money, so we took the plunge.
I have to admit I was excited at the reviews I read, but also was not looking forward to the switch. After a week of Bumgenius one-size reusable cloth diapers I am a fan! They are working great for Evan, much better than my disposables even, and are much less gross than I imagined. To be honest, I was pretty skeptical as far as the grossness goes. If it weren't for the fact that we are saving for the adoption and want to adopt again someday, saving money in this arena would not have even been considered. I even (gasp!) went as far as to sew my own cloth wipes (see monkey wipes above). They are just used and thrown in with the diapers when I wash. And did you notice they are super cute! I thought I would feel like I was doing laundry all the time, but really it is only a load every other day. I make a wipes solution with aloe vera gel and water - super easy.
Oh, and did I mention the Imse Vimse reusable flushable liners that are available. These are a must-have! They look similar to tissue paper and are laid on the diaper when you put it on. It catches solids and you can just pick the paper up and flush it. If your kid doesn't go poo you can throw it in the wash with the diapers and reuse it. Genius!
3 comments:
My sister-in-law had twins last summer and they needed to cut budget big time so she's used cloth diapers with them since day 1 (well since the day they finally got home from the hospital) and she agrees that they are fabulous. Glad you're having success with them =).
Erin, I'm really excited to read about your love for cloth diapers! I am thinking I would like to use them also and am looking for any advice you can give so this was great! I have a cousin who has sent me several websites she used when choosing styles and brands so I am planning to do some serious cloth-diaper research this weekend. If you have any more opinions on them, feel free to email me!
We love our BGs too. I've just been using water with our cloth wipes, but I've been battling dryness. I will have to try out the aloe mixture!
Post a Comment