
Compassion International, I am learning, is an amazing ministry. In their own words this is what their organization does:
"Compassion International exists as a Christian child advocacy ministry that releases children from spiritual, economic, social and physical poverty and enables them to become responsible, fulfilled Christian adults.Founded by the Rev. Everett Swanson in 1952, Compassion began providing Korean War orphans with food, shelter, education and health care, as well as Christian training. Today, Compassion helps more than 1 million children in 25 countries."
Countries including Ethiopia! Craig and I had already agreed that we would sponsor a child from Ethiopia someday soon and have that as just one way to remain connected to Ethiopia and to be ministering even in a small way there. I recently ran across the fact that if you travel to the country of your sponsored child that, if it is possible, Compassion arranges that you could meet your child. Hmmm...so my brain was working today and I wondered what we were waiting for! While we are there in June would we be able to meet a child that we signed up to sponsor? I signed us up to sponsor a 17 year old boy and immediately called their number to see if a meeting could be arranged. The woman I spoke with said that with such short notice they might not be able to arrange it, but that we WOULD be able to leave a gift for him if we would like. Yay! If you know me you know I LOVE to give gifts. They also assist with ongoing correspondences between you and your sponsored child. Please check out Compassion's work at their website www.compassion.com and if you are interested in sponsoring a child.
1 comment:
Yay! I hope they can arrange it. We're gonna try to have Compassion bring our 16 yr old young man down to us when we go to Uganda. I pray you can meet him!
Post a Comment