It is so cracks me up when I attempt or are successful at things the world would consider a "domestic" duty. You know, like cooking, cleaning, flower arranging, etc. I dug out the sewing machine this weekend. Before you think I am skilled on it I will confess that I must read the directions every time I use it. I don't know how to use patterns . . . maybe I would like to learn someday :) For Juliana's halloween costume, when she had just turned 1, I had her lay down on a piece of material, traced around her, cut the pieces out, and sewed them together. It actually turned out to be a pretty cute little yoda tunic! Well, this time I set out again with a very informal plan to patch up Juliana's pink blanket and was expecting just as stellar results. This is not just any blankey, but THE blankey. I didn't get a close up picture for a reason. Here were my thoughts as I sewed and cut, cut and sewed:
- It needs a patch on each side so that both sides of the hole are protected.
- The edges of the patch need to be hemmed so that they don't unravel...this was the untimely fate of patch #1.
- The patch is big so maybe I will curly-cue around on top of the patch as well (kinda like on a quilt) so that the middle of the patch is more solid and not so flimsy.
- I suppose I will also slip some n0-sew hemming tape in the middle. If you iron it it sticks material together. Again to reinforce the middle of the patch.
- Hmmm...this is just not as cute as the picture in my mind.
Well, I guess we can't all be great at everything - Ha! Juliana was pleased and Craig got a laugh. Really, folks, there is a reason that I didn't take the picture close up :)
The last picture is proof that I actually do dishes. Why you ask? Because Juliana wanted to pretend to be a mommy and this is how she requested to do it. This is also no small thing. I used to HATE doing dishes. If I remember right, this was the topic of our very first fight after being married. I didn't want to be expected to do them all. It is ONLY a work of the Lord that Juliana was joyfully washing dishes instead of grumbling and complaining while "being" mommy. He has done a work in me through the power of the gospel by which I am able to delight in serving my family EVEN in washing dishes! Oh brother, this is sooo not the politically correct thing to say. And yes I do, just like Juliana is doing, gaze lovingly at the dishes after I wash them...don't you?
1 comment:
aahh... so adorable. And such a testement to the blessings in your life, and the blessings that you give to your children.
Post a Comment